The world’s plastic usage has grown to intolerable levels. From humble beginnings to a position where humanity now produces roughly its own weight in plastic every year. It has bothered me increasingly over time, seeing discarded plastic items washed up on beaches, littered in hedgerows never to decompose.
I’m pleased to see the increasing shift towards plastic avoidance and alternatives and I am actively trying to reduce plastic and seek replacements in my own life. Here are my tips for living plastic-free with less plastic alternatives on a day to day basis. Adopt those that seem doable and that will make the most impact. No one can do it all at once. But we can all get started!
1. Bring your own shopping bag
2. Carry a reusable water bottle, I like fruit infusing water bottles
3. Bring your own refillable coffee cup, I’m getting better at this one
4. Pack your lunch in resuable containers
5. Carry your own reusable straw – I use stainless steel straws
6. Say no to disposable plastic cutlery
7. Skip the plastic fruit & veg bag
8. Slow down, say no to ping meals, cook from scratch and dine in
9. Store leftovers in glass jars
10. Share this post with these tips with your friends – tweet, pin & post – thank you!